Wednesday, September 17, 2003

Ouch

In the process of serving up dinner last night I picked up a plate, forgetting that not two minutes before it had been in the warming draw at the bottom of the oven.

Oops.

It's odd how long it sometimes takes you to register pain, especially with something like a burn. I had had enough time to pick up the plate and half carry it to the worktop (a couple of feet away) before I realised it was hot. Of course, at that point I should have dropped it; they are very cheap plates, Kitchen Rejects sort of thing. But I didn't. Instead I moved it back and put it down again, allbeit less carefully than I normally would have. This was accompanied by some choice language and a rather loud ouch.

The next two and a half hours were spent with my fingertips pressed against an ice cube-stuffed teatowel and I now have nice blisters on the pads of my thumb and first two fingers. Thankfully, the ice did it's job and they do not hurt very much but I won't be doing it again in a hurry.

No comments: