Friday, November 14, 2003

No 22.


So, so you think you can tell heaven from hell, [clear] blue skies from pain
Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail? A smile from a veil?
Do you think you can tell?

Song: Wish You Were Here
Album: Wish You Were Here


(Requested by Adrian.)

Has your judgment ever been called into question? Have you ever questioned it yourself?

I have to use my judgment quite a lot in my work. I play around with databases and create reports from them and I often have to decide on the best way to get hold of the data I need. At the moment I am in the middle of a project that will require me to make all sorts of judgment calls and it is critical that I get them all right. Usually there is no need to justify why I did it one way and not another but occasionally I do have to and, let me tell you, I don't like it. I mean, I know what I'm doing and I do it better than most so why are other people questioning the way I've done it?

Of course, if I look at it objectively, they are often right to do so. There may have been a better way to do something that I missed. I may even have made a mistake somewhere along the way. Then I just have to swallow my pride and admit (to myself if no-one else) that judgmentent was wrong. After all, however much I may claim otherwise, I don't know everything.

No comments: