Wednesday, December 01, 2004

Going Under

And all of a sudden a week has passed without a word from me. I didn't mean that to happen. I was going to post something on Friday but I was ill and this week so far, I just haven't had the energy or the inclination.

Thursday was a largely wasted day at work as I practically fell asleep at my desk. I wasn't just tired, my muscles were aching and it felt like I had no reserves of energy left - even walking around the office was taxing. I gave up and went home an hour early and promptly went to bed for a while. L pretty much forced me to agree not to go in on Friday and, although I felt well enough to do so in the morning, I'm glad I didn't. While it wasn't long enough to set me completely right, as a short-term fix it worked well.

I expected it to turn into a full-blown cold or even flu over the weekend but, apart from the odd sneeze here and there, no other symptoms have materialised. That may sound like good news but it's worrying me. If Thursday can't be explained by a cold then what was it? I haven't been sleeping badly recently, with between 7 and 8 hours sleep most nights, and I haven't been running many marathons either. Can it really be merely tiredness?

Before anyone says it, I know it's going to get worse once the baby is born but I'll worry about that then. What's concerning me is the way I'm feeling at the moment. The thought that I could suffer a more serious collapse than last week is starting to trouble me and I don't know what to do about it.

I can't take any more leave until the new year (even then I don't want to take too much because of time off I need later in the year) and I'm not going to take days off sick just because I'm tired - it's going to have to reach the serious stage before I'll do that. I'm not doing as much around the house as I was and that's limited to the necessary chores. The major projects and diy stuff are being left undone because I just don't have the energy to get started on them.

So, if a few days go by without anything new appearing on Clear Blue Skies, it's probably because I've been sleeping.

No comments: