Thursday, September 30, 2004

A Visit to the Dentist

This morning I went to the dentist for the first time in more than 12 years.
I only know it's at least that long because the last time I went I got
referred to an orthodontist who in turn referred me to the hospital to have
my wisdom teeth checked out and that appointment was on my 16th
birthday. I have never felt the urge to go back to the dentist since.

My teeth have always been fine and I haven't suffered any problems with
them so it just didn't seem worth it. I probably wouldn't have gone today
if L hadn't made appointments for both of us. And my position seems to
have been justified. Apart from my wisdom teeth no longer being there (I
finally had them removed when I was seventeen - just over ten years ago)
and a tiny spot on one of my second incisors where decay had started and
then stopped years ago, my teeth are all fine.

Naturally, there was quite a build up of plaque - a left over from the days
when I didn't clean my teeth properly - but that was fairly easily removed
and now it's gone the brushing and mouthwash should keep it from coming
back too quickly.

All in all, it was exactly what I'd expected. However, I don't think I'll
leave it as long before my next appointment.

;-)

No comments: