Wednesday, November 10, 2004

Email Posting

One of the new features that Blogger introduced during the last revamp was the ability to post via email. All you have to do is send an email to a specific address (known only to you) and, providing you remember a few simple rules on how to set it out, your post should appear just as you want it.

Great, thought I, that will come in handy for posting while I'm at work.

Actually, it's not so great. Sure, the posts come out just how you want them to. They just don't appear when you want them to.

If I send an email to a friend who works in the States, I can get a reply back within minutes (assuming it's not the middle of the night over there. Why, then, when I sent the two posts below this one on Friday afternoon did one of them take 14 hours to be posted and the other take 26?

Not only that, they appeared in the wrong order. I deliberately left a few minutes between sending them so that hopefully they would be in the right order when they got published.

This isn't the first time I've had long delays when using the email system and that sort of performance just isn't good enough. If you use a system that automatically publishes the post you put into it, then you want the post to appear almost immediately. Certainly, you don't want them showing up over a day late.

Blogger, buck your ideas up!

No comments: