Monday, September 01, 2003

Lazing on a Sunday Afternoon

Yesterday was a very poor TV day so, since L and I couldn't be bothered to go out anywhere, we decided to spend the day watching films. Though we started with the one of the best films ever made, things unfortunately went downhill from there.

First up was the Shawshank Redemption. I'd not seen it before and was quite literally blown away. A thoroughly excellent film from beginning to end and one I wish I'd made the effort to watch earlier. Excellent perfomances from all the cast and a storyline that keeps you interested until the end. It now rates as one of my favourites of all time.

Next came This Year's Love, another I hadn't seen before. A comedy of relationships going sour in Camden with a great cast. It has a few inspired moments and overall is a good, fun film with depressing undertones.

Lastly, and most definitely least, we stopped watching videos and turned onto Channel Five for The Avengers. I decided soon after the beginning to read my book while this was on and still saw enough to know that it has to be one of the worst films ever made. What made people like Sean Connery and Eddie Izzard even consider acting in it I'll never know. Poor even by Five's standards. :-)

Bonus viewing: Rosemary and Thyme, ITV's latest feel-good detective series. I feared this would be the usual sort of Sunday night fare from ITV, syrupy sweet and rose-tinted but I was pleasantly surprised. Pam Ferris and Felicity Kendal were both good and the show, though it could never be called gritty, did at least have some substance. Unless Channel Four decide to put the West Wing back on Sunday nights, I may well watch it again.

No comments: