Monday, December 22, 2003

Hectic Weekend

Well, that was a hectic weekend of traveling. I feel like I've hardly been in the flat at all. Saturday morning was spent going to the bank and Sainsbury's, to get the few bits we need before going away on Wednesday, and then it was off to St Albans for the afternoon.

Then yesterday we were up and out of the flat by nine to go and take one last look at our new home in Hemel Hempstead before we exchange contracts. We wanted to check that the heating was working and take measurements in the kitchen and master bedroom so that we can start to plan where all the furniture is going to go. It's funny how rooms grow in your mind when you haven't seen them for a while, isn't it? The kitchen definitely seemed to be a foot or two shorter than I remembered, though it's still big enough for our needs. We also tested out the walk to and from the station - about 15 minutes, downhill all the way to and uphill all the way back home.

Then we were back in Finchley for a few hours (mostly spent doing housework) before heading in to Covent Garden to meet up with friends for drinks.

And, of course, it was all done on buses, trains, tube and taxis. If we'd had a car we could have saved a good couple of hours of actual traveling time. Oh well, at least I got a couple more hours to read my book.

Now I've just got to survive two and a half days of work, with evening visits tonight from my parents and brother(s) and tomorrow from L's sister and her boyfriend and then it's off to my in-laws for Christmas on Wednesday afternoon before going to my parents at the weekend. I don't think we're going to get a moments peace until next Monday night.

No comments: