Thursday, April 01, 2004

April Fool

I've never been much of a practical joker so I haven't really made the most out of April 1st over the years.

About the only April Fool I remember playing was eight years ago in my first year. I'd been going out with this girl for a little over a month and it was the middle of the Easter break. That afternoon I was going to go and stay with her in North Wales and I couldn't resist winding her up a little bit.

I got one of my brothers to ring her and say I'd been in an accident and was in hospital with a broken my leg so I wouldn't be able to travel. He talked to her for a couple of minutes before I couldn't stand it any more and took the phone from him. I fully expected her to twig as soon as she heard me speak but she must have thought that my brother had phoned from the hospital or something because the first thing she said was:

"Oh dear, what have you done?"

I nearly gave the game away then by bursting out laughing but I managed not to and fed her some story about being hit by a car or something. After a few more minutes I thought I'd put her out of her misery and gently said "What day is it today?"

"Monday," came the reply.

"No, I mean what day..."

The string of expletives that then emitted from the phone would make you hair curl.

Tee hee!

No comments: