Wednesday, April 14, 2004

Tooled Up

What's this? A post that's not about bloghunting? Fancy that!

I think I've mentioned it before but my grandfather, who died over nineteen years ago was a talented amateur carpenter. Though his work was rarely beautiful, from a practical point of view there was little he couldn't do.

Until last summer, when my Nan moved out of the house she'd lived in for almost 50 years, Poppa's tools had remained in the garage, unused for twenty years or more. When the house was cleared out, Dad took the tools home.

On Sunday, he and I went to have a look at them to see what there was among them that I wanted. I was amazed by what we found. Everything was in such good condition it would have looked like a new set of tools if some of them weren't clearly old. There was barely a speck of rust to be seen anywhere.

I probably took two-thirds of what was there, in total. I've now got wrenches, spanners, rasps and paint brushes. There are a couple of drills and dozens of bits, for a variety of purposes. He had loads of different chisels that I've taken as well. All different sizes and shapes, most of which I'll never use, I'm sure. Nail grippers, clamps, a plane, mortar trowels, a float, there's all sorts.

On top of all that, he had made wooden boxing to hold a lot of the tools. The boxing varies in height and all fits together for compact storage. He was a very clever man.

All I have to do now is sort out somewhere dry to keep them and then find some use for it all.

It should be fun.

No comments: