Wednesday, November 12, 2003

No 19.


Fearlessly the idiot faced the crowd (smiling)

Song: Fearless
Album: Meddle


(Requested by Mr D.)

One thing I really don’t like doing is standing up in front of an audience to give a talk. If I know the people I’m speaking to and what I’m speaking about then it’s not too bad but otherwise I get a big attack of nerves. I definitely wouldn’t be standing there smiling fearlessly. Though I would agree with the idiot bit.

When my best mate announced he was getting married I began to dread even being asked to be the best man, because of the speech I would have to do. Of course, that didn’t stop me from asking the same of him for my wedding.  ;-)   Thankfully, they didn’t have the usual reception format so there weren’t any speeches anyway. Even at my own wedding, all I had to do was stand up and thank various people for the things they had done to organise it and I was nervous as hell.

It’s not as if I’ve never done it before. In fact, when I was at school and university I used to do presentations and the like quite often. I just didn’t ever get used to it. Every time I got up in front of people the nerves would kick in. My heart would start racing, my mouth would go dry and I’d start stammering. At least that’s the way it seemed to me. Everyone else would say it was fine, even good but all I’d be able to remember was being tongue-tied one minute and jabbering away nonsensically the next.

Rather like the way I write these posts, actually.  :-)

Do get nervous in front of an audience? If so, how do you get round it? All hints and tips gratefully received (though, if I’m lucky, never tried out!).

No comments: