Thursday, November 27, 2003

No 37.


I woke to the sound of drums
The music played, the morning sun streamed in.

Song: A Great Day For Freedom
Album: The Division Bell


In my year in Germany, I shared a small two-bedroom flat in a hall of residence with a German guy. He was nice enough, though he kept to himself a lot, but there was one thing about him that really annoyed me. He was a fan of heavy metal. Not just any heavy metal, either; he listened to the sort of metal normally prefixed by words like 'thrash' or 'death'. At 7.30 in the morning. Very loud.

Bare in mind that I had virtually no lectures to go to and therefore had absolutely no need to be in any state of consciousness at that time of the morning and you'll understand why I got quite angry about it. The problem was, there wasn’t much I could do about it since he'd had the room long before I arrived and wasn't going to let some foreign guy tell him what to do in his own flat.

Luckily he usually had early lectures so it never lasted more than an hour and I was normally able to get back to sleep after he'd left. I’d much rather have slept right through, though.

No comments: