Tuesday, November 04, 2003

No 6.


Remember a day before today
A day when you were young
Free to play along with time
Evening never comes.

Song: Remember A Day
Album: A Saucerful of Secrets


Why is it that one's perception of time changes so much as you get older? When you're young time seems to move much more slowly. Weekends and half-term holidays seemed to last for ages and the Christmas and Easter breaks even longer. But they all paled into insignificance next to the summer break. I can remember as a child thinking that the six-week summer holiday seemed like an eternity, full of long days in which there was plenty of time to do whatever I wanted. I'm sure that part of this feeling was due to the knowledge that, once the holiday finished I'd be a whole year older (in school terms) but that's not the whole of it. There just seemed to be more time.

Now weeks flash past almost before I realise they've begun, speeding me towards the grave as if I'm running late and need to catch up. There's always a pile of things to do and deadlines coming up imminently and not enough time to go round. And I find myself wanting that child-like perception of time that I used to have.

Ironic, isn't it? Now that I can actually appreciate having time to spare, I don't have any.

No comments: