Wednesday, March 24, 2004

Reading Matter

With a sudden influx of visitors from three different places (thanks guys :-) ), I thought I'd better post something for you all to read.

Then I thought of posting about something for you all to read, instead. (D'ya see what I did there? D'ya?)

Last night on the train home I finished reading The Well Of Lost Plots, the third book in the Thursday Next chronicles by Jasper Fforde. And I loved it.

I'm not going to do an in depth review or anything (to be honest, I wouldn't know where to start) but I will say that if you like the sort of 'nonsensical' books that Douglas Adams' wrote then you'll probably like these, too.

The basic premise is that the distinction between the real world and the world of fiction is not quite as solid as you might think and that it is perfectly possible for a real person to enter Bookworld and vice versa.

The books are extremely well written with lots of characters from other books popping up here and there and plenty of literary in-jokes. Wonderfully funny and inventive, I think you should drop whatever it is you're doing right now and rush out to your local Waterstones to buy all three (the first is called 'The Eyre Affair' and the second 'Lost In A Good Book'). You won't regret it.

No comments: