Friday, March 05, 2004

Reminiscences

Six years ago today I went up to Manchester to stay with my uni mates. It was the middle of my year in Germany and I had an eight week break between the two semesters so I decided to spend a large part of it kipping on a sofa in the North West.

Anyway, it being a Thursday afternoon, I knew exactly where they would all be so I went straight from the station to Jabez Clegg, where my mates were with a load of sixth formers, giving them a taste of what Manchester University was all about.

While I'd been away they had become friendly with some of the new crop of first years (as was their wont) and one of them was with them in the pub. She was six foot tall and very attractive, despite her fringe making her look younger than she was. We hit it off straight away and flirted outrageously for the next couple of hours or more. I had a great time - I hadn't flirted like that in ages and had forgotten how much fun it could be.

But at the time, that's all it was, a bit of fun. Once we had left the pub and gone our separate ways I didn't really think much more of it. I saw her again a few times while I was there but as far as I was concerned, I didn't want to get involved with anyone (since I was due to head back out of the country) so I didn't push it any further.

Had anyone said to me as we were leaving the pub that four and a half years later we'd be marrying each other I'd probably have laughed at them. Life is a funny thing, sometimes.

No comments: